Tuesday, September 30, 2008

From July at Cayuga Lake


Sitting out on a little dock, gazing out at the lake thinking-I am content. There is a thin haze shrouding the horizon. It’s a gray morning, but the lake is glistening, softly rippling. I do not feel homesick, sad, lonely, nervous, stressed or any of the emotions I have been feeling since moving to New York. I feel perfectly content with the sentiment that I am disconnected from what, prior to this, was comfortable to me. But, at this moment, everything feels ok. Actually, better than that, I am exhilarated and curious for what the future holds. Who else will I meet? Where will I visit?

I am here with these people who before this, never even knew I existed. It is the strangest feeling to think that these individuals have been living their lives just like me, sharing space on this earth, and now I am eating barbequed hot dogs and hamburgers with them, lighting sparklers on the 4th of July and discussing the lives we have been living without having ever met one another.

With gentle ripples the water is moving, always moving. The water seems to know the directions the earth whispers. The water is flexible, shifting directions when a change in the environment is initiated.

No comments: