Saturday, September 6, 2008

"You must shut your ears to the roaring of the voices." - Sherwood Anderson, Winesburg, Ohio

Out of the Rubble

Like looking upon the remnants of Rome

Seeing the scars from bullets left on the Dublin post office

Tangible reminders of that day in 1916

Watching the implosion of a beautiful structure

What remains after the destruction?

Imperfections in elegant hunks of marble

Telling a story of what once was

At the same time proof of longevity and survival

You see it, glory days long since passed

Or glory days that never came to be

Thwarted at conception

Love and Beauty are found among this rubble

Devotion to what could be

If the next attempt does not fail

Pieces of myself scattered among the broken fragments

A life that has lost its center from the powerful onslaught of life

How quickly time passes, the present evolving into the past

Without warning, without time to prepare

Yet still the embrace

The small trinkets of joy found in holding onto to hope

Hope out of love for the future generations

Parts of the pillars left standing, although battered

It is still something for me to touch, wrap my arms around

Knowing the history of the struggle makes the embrace more precious

The shelter I seek from the surviving remnants

Amidst the chaos I am still part of this distorted legacy

It is the only truth I know completely

Truth through which I find myself

No comments: